- You do not have to have sung in a choir before.
- You do not have to be able to read music.
- You do not have to pass an audition or take a test.
- We are not a faith-based group – you do not have to be a member of St. Luke’s Church, or any religion.
Our policy is that anyone can apply to join Vox, but we retain the right to agree or not, based on the size of the choir overall and the need to maintain a balance of voices in each section.
The fee is £70 per term, which includes scores. We will agree a reduced rate for anyone who genuinely can’t afford this amount. This is done on an individual basis.
We expect people to join for a full term – rather than dip in and out, expecting to pay variable rates.
The rationale for this policy is that we are committed to paying our professional musicians over a full term. Members should note that our rates are set on a not-for-profit basis.
We have three terms a year. Each term offers ten weekly online rehearsals leading up to a concert. We provide music and detailed coaching, along with a professional band and soloists on the big day.
Signing up has never been easier. Send us an email to introduce yourself voxhollowayN7@gmail.com and sign up to the mailing list using the blue button on the right
Tuesday Evening Rehearsals
Rehearsals are Tuesday evenings, 7.30pm – 9.45pm at St Luke’s Church, Hillmarton Rd, London N7 and run during the school terms. We advise arriving at 7pm, if you are a new member.
Some of the benefits our members find from joining us include closer links with the local community, a sense of well-being, achieving or refreshing a skill, helping good causes, the excitement of performing, making new friends, improving musical knowledge. Some of our members have written about their experiences with Vox Holloway.
People usually join during the first 3 weeks of a programme of rehearsals. You can use the contact form to the right to ask us any questions. In the first few weeks there is usually a meet and greet desk where you can say hello, give your details and get some music. If you know if your voice is soprano, tenor or bass they’ll point you to where to settle in and try to introduce you to a member of your section. If you’re not sure what type of voice you have, you can either try out different sections until you feel comfortable, or we can ask one of the very musical members of the choir to listen to you in private and give you a pointer as to which section to join.
Typically, a rehearsal follows this pattern: announcements and vocal warm-up at 7.30pm, split into our voice sections and learn/practice our parts for an hour. Then we have a 15 minutes refreshment break, followed by the whole choir singing together for the remaining time. We usually finish at 9.30pm.
Membership Policy – Update October 2021
- The committee reserves the right to limit the membership of VH based on the capacity of the venues we use.
- Anyone already on our mailing list is considered to be an ‘existing member’ and is welcome to sign up, but they must do so in the first 2 weeks and must commit to a full term of rehearsals and to participating in the concert.
- Any potential new member who wants to join VH in the tenor or bass sections is welcome to sign up by attending VH and signing up in the first 2 weeks of term
- Any new member who wants to join the alto or soprano sections must apply to Harvey here , stating why they would like to join. If their application is accepted and if there are spaces for new members in these sections following the 2nd rehearsal of the term, they will be invited to join at that point.
Pingback: Thank you | voxholloway
Pingback: Sing Vivaldi’s Gloria for charity | voxholloway
Pingback: The Prophet and the Arts Council | voxholloway
Pingback: Join us this summer term from 6th May | voxholloway
Pingback: 5th Anniversary Term: join us! | voxholloway
Pingback: Spring 2015: Ona’s Flood – join us! | voxholloway
Pingback: The music of Henry Purcell – the greatest of English composers – join us! | voxholloway
Pingback: Autumn 2015 – “Music on the Mind” – Join us! | voxholloway
Pingback: Spring 2016 – A Hum About Mine Ears – join us! | voxholloway
Pingback: This term at Vox – The Year of Jubilee | voxholloway
Pingback: Sergeant Pepper’s cure for lonely hearts | Vox Holloway